Friday 20 January 2012

Caged

That is the title of the 2 minute, short film I have to participate in creating.

Let me set some things straight. I am not a film person. I know nothing about films. I dont understand the evolution of a story in 2 minutes- it has to resolve? I have never been behind a camera before. I've never been near a camera before! I've never been infront of a camera (unless the filming of a show which was onstage counts). I have never been in an editing studio before and I have never used editing software.

But I can safely say that, in 2 weeks time, I will have done most, if not all, of those things...
And that's because I joined FilmSoc
*cue applause for new experiences*

Admittedly, making a short was not what I signed up to FilmSoc for. It was presented to me as a society who would watch less mainstream films than the other film related society here, so the first film they're screening is the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I dragged along two friends to the inaugural meeting and it was not what we were expecting at all. We thought we would just be pitching ideas for the future of the society or suggesting films to watch but instead, we were thrown headfirst into a project- daunting. And not at all what I wanted to do.

However it does sound fun, the people are lovely and funny (even if my sarcasm is too advanced for them) and, well, I've never done anything like this before so I'll give it a try.

The best part of the evening by far was the apology round of drinks I bought for my friends after the meeting. We went to a bar that one of them had never been to before, despite it being on campus, had a few drinks and free cocktails (always choose bars where your friends work) and just chatted, taking a break from exam stress before getting right back to it when we got home.

Or, like me, falling asleep with your head in your flatmates lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment